mediation on practice
1 the actual application or use of an idea, belief, or method as opposed to theories about such application or use : the principles and practice of teaching | he put his self-defense training into practice by helping police arrest the armed robber.
• the customary, habitual, or expected procedure of something : current nursing practice | modern child-rearing practices.
• the carrying out or exercise of a profession, esp. that of a doctor or lawyer : he abandoned medical practice for the Church.
• the business or premises of a doctor or lawyer : Dr. Weiss has a practice in Essex.
• an established method of legal procedure.
2 repeated exercise in or performance of an activity or skill so as to acquire or maintain proficiency in it : it must have taken a lot of practice to become so fluent.
• a period of time spent doing this : daily choir practices.
a meditation on practice. of course! so often we want to just be able to do something – speak a foreign language, play an instrument, ski, dance, write — but we don’t think about what it takes to be able to do it well…practice.
we learned how to walk, talk, read, write. but we don’t remember the frustration. we were so young. we were practicing without knowing it. it became a part of our every day. it became a habit.
1 a settled or regular tendency or practice, esp. one that is hard to give up : this can develop into a bad habit | we stayed together out of habit.
• informal an addictive practice, esp. one of taking drugs : a cocaine habit.
• Psychology an automatic reaction to a specific situation.
• general shape or mode of growth, esp. of a plant or a mineral : a shrub of spreading habit.
the difference between habit and practice?
well, look at that, a habit is a regular practice. the difference is a habit is automatic. practice still requires thought, planning, scheduling. but continue to do it, if you care about the thing you are practicing, give it the time it deserves.
write it, speak it. play it. do it…until you are doing it without thinking about it. until you come to be it!